In the interest of the public health of all attendees, the Cray User Group and CUG 2023 will follow all local health guidelines. There is an expectation that the majority of attendees will be fully vaccinated, but there is no explicit requirement to demonstrate this as part of your registration and attendance.
Please note: If an individual develops signs or symptoms of COVID, they shall not attend any portion of any conference event and must immediately leave the Conference venue. Symptomatic individuals must confirm receipt of a negative PCR COVID test before being allowed to return. It is the responsibility of the symptomatic individual to obtain the necessary US Food and Drug Administration (FDA)-approved test. Failure to report symptoms will result in exclusion from the event.
The conference will be held at the Clarion Hotel Helsinki, Tyynenmerenkatu 2 00220 Helsinki , Finland located in the new Jätkäsaari (Busholmen) urban investment district in the central West Harbour area.
To make your reservation at The Clarion Hotel Helsinki, please call +358 10 850 3820 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. The in-House Sales Office is open Monday – Friday 08:00 – 18:00 (EEST). Please ensure you state you are part of the CUG 2023 group to ensure you get the agreed rate of €190 for a standard room (single occupancy) or €215 for a superior room (single occupancy). Note these rates include tax, buffet breakfast, internet access and access to the fitness centre, sauna and swimming pool. We have negotiated these rates to be available from 2 May 2023 to 15 May 2023. Any nights outside of these dates will be offered at the current hotel rate.
You will be required to provide the following details in order to confirm your reservation:
- Full Guest Name
- Arrival and Departure Dates
- Credit Card details for guarantee
- Email address
- Telephone number
Each guest reserves and pays for own accommodation and the room account is to be settled directly with the hotel prior to departure.
Check in is from 3pm on the day of arrival and check out is 12pm on date of departure. The CUG room block will be substantially reduced starting March 5th, we highly encourage attendees to reserve a room prior to that date. All reservations must be made prior to 20 April 2023 with rooms reservations possible based on cost and availability.
Conference Office and Registration
Badges and registration materials will be available at the CUG registration desk located on the 2nd floor of the Clarion Hotel. Registration will also be available during the Sunday welcome reception at the Clarion’s main bar – The Living Room, 5:00pm – 6:30pm. The Living Room is located on the Ground Floor of the main hotel building.
Sunday: 3:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m, CUG registration desk
Sunday: 5:00 p.m. to 6:30 p.m, The Living Room
Monday: 7:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m, CUG registration desk
Tuesday: 7:30 a.m. to 10:30 a.m, CUG registration desk
To register after Tuesday morning visit the CUG office, located in Brygga upstairs in the conference centre within the Clarion Hotel.
All attendees must wear badges during CUG Conference activities.
There is no smoking allowed at the Conference.
Any requests for special assistance during the conference should be noted on the “Special Requirements” area of the registration form. You may also contact the Local Arrangements Committee.
Conference Program Overview and Social Events
- Detailed information will be made available in the CUG2023 Technical Program area as well as the Mobile Guidebook.
Sunday, May 7
- XTreme SIG meeting (XTreme members only)
- PEAD SIG (afternoon) – All CUG attendees are invited to attend this year’s PEAD session. The PEAD Sunday session will contain multiple BOF formatted topic discussions. Topics will include User Module Environment, HPE Support Documentation, PE Update and Testing Procedures, and Training offerings. Each topic will contain presentations by HPE technical representatives and center representatives followed by open floor discussion.
- Welcome Reception –All attendees and their guests are invited to attend the welcome reception at the Clarion’s main bar – The Living Room. The Living Room is located on the Ground Floor of the main hotel building. The reception is scheduled from 17:00 – 19:00 (5:00 – 7:00 pm). Light canapés and soda, water, wine, and beer will be available at the reception.
Monday, May 8
- Half- and Full-Day Tutorials; Birds of a Feather (BoF) Sessions (early evening)
Tuesday, May 9
- Conference keynote, plenary sessions, best paper presentation, technical paper presentations, and BoFs
- HPE Networking Event – HPE will host a networking event from 6:30 to 8:30 pm at The Sofia Helsinki located at Sofiankatu 4 C, 00170 Helsinki, Finland. All registered attendees and their guests are invited to attend. HPE is providing transportation to and from the event via buses, starting at 6:15 pm and concluding at 9:00 pm. Pick-up is in front of the Clarion Hotel. Attendees may also choose to walk on their own to the event.
Wednesday, May 10
- Plenary sessions, technical paper presentations, and BoFs
- CUG Night Out
Venue – We invite all registered attendees and guests with a paid CUG night out ticket to join us for a memorable evening that includes a leisurely boat ride to dinner at the Restaurant Saaristo, one of Helsinki’s most impressive and traditional restaurants, located on the Klippan Island. The building, completed in 1899, has a long and colorful history and the dinner menu will feature classic Scandinavian flavors – the best touches from land and sea. This event will feature water, soda, beer and wine, and the restaurant will offer a cash bar for those wanting an alternative.
Logistics to the Restaurant Saaristo – CUG has chartered two boats to take attendees to Klippan island where you will dine at the lovely Restaurant Sarristo. The boat pick-up spot is located about a 7- minute walk from the Clarion Hotel Helsinki (see map below), and CUG staff will be on hand to help you navigate from the Clarion Lobby to the boat pick-up spot. The first boat will leave at 18:00 (6:00 pm), and the second boat will leave at 18:15 (6:15 pm). The boat ride will take approximately 40 minutes. The boats offer both indoor and outdoor seating, and we recommend you dress appropriately for the weather. Once we dock at Klippen island, the Restaurant Saaristo will be some number of steps up from the boat dock, and once again CUG staff will be on-hand to help you navigate to the dinner venue. If you have any ADA concerns, please reach out and let us know.
Logistics from the Restaurant Saaristo – The meal service at Restaurant Saaristo is estimated to take 2.5 hours, taking us to approximately 21:30 (9:30 pm). After dinner, there will be the shuttle boats (max 40 pax) managed by the restaurant that are available to take you back to the mainland, which is only a couple of minutes crossing. Note this is a different location than from where you caught the boat over to the island. This boat will run on demand so there are no set times on departure. Once you reach the mainland you can either make your own way back to the Clarion Hotel or you can take one of the CUG organized shuttle buses back to the hotel. If you wish to take a bus these will leave from the Olympic Terminal at 21:45 (9:45 pm), 22:00 (10:00 pm), 22:30 (10:30 pm), and 23:00 (11:00 pm). CUG staff will be on hand on the mainland to direct you to the bus departure point.
Missed the Boat to the Restaurant Saaristo? – If for some reason you miss the last boat leaving for Restaurant Saaristo, it is still possible to join us on the island! You simply have to make your own way to Ehrenströmintie 14 which is where the restaurant has its own shuttle boat. The crossing only takes a couple of minutes.
Guest Tickets – CUG Night Out is included in the registration fee for attendees, but if you would like to bring a guest, (someone not registered for the conference), they will need a guest ticket. Guest tickets are available for purchase through May 5, 2023. No guest tickets can be purchased on-site.
Thursday, May 11
- Technical paper presentations, and preview of CUG 2024
Friday, May 12
- Sustainable HPC Operations Workshop (in Kajaani) hosted by CSC